We are surrounded by electronics: smartphones, computers, TVs, robots, and more! Almost all of them are controlled by computer code as well. Students will learn how to design simple electronic systems for alarms, home sensing, motor controls, etc, as well as create code to control these systems. The class uses an Arduino simulator and does not require a physical device. However, if you prefer, an Arduino starter kit can be purchased online. The same code your student creates in class will work on the device without any changes.
We start with the basics of electronics. Students will learn how to create circuits, use resistors, and get introduced to Ohm’s law, while building a series of cool projects and experiments. We will also code Arduino to start building smart devices that can sense their environment and respond accordingly. We then move up to learn more advanced electronic concepts such as digital vs. analog and control servos and sensors. Students will also sharpen their coding skills and even tap into a bit of text-based coding to get ready for more advanced coding classes. Combined with skills they have learned, students will build 3 advanced systems in the last several sessions: Home Automations, Light Show, and Smart Cars, from circuit creation to coding.
Each class is full of excitement and brand new topics that most students rarely have access to. Join to create and have fun!
● Grades 4 -9
● Program Length: 12 sessions (60 min per session)
● Need Computer – Windows, MAC, or Chromebook
● Prior block based coding experience required
● Arduino is not required. If you are getting an Arduino, we suggest getting an Arduino Starter Kit which includes some sensors also.
● #robotics, #coding # arduino #electronics
About the Instructor
This course is offered in partnership with Create & Learn. Founded by tech experts, Create & Learn is an award-winning STEM program with the mission of providing top quality Computer Science education to students in K-12. All of our classes are held live online and are taught by experienced teachers. With more than 35 courses, our curriculum covers a rich set of topics such as coding, AI, Robotics, Digital Design, and Cloud Computing.
● We are the only 5 stars rated kids computer science program at scale and have served 10s of thousands of students worldwide in the last several years.
● Won the Facebook (Meta) Engineer for the Week Impact award twice in a row
● Featured by Minecraft Education and Roblox Education
● Voted by ActivityHero (2021, 2022) and Hulafrog (2021, 2022) as Parents’ Favorites.
● Our curriculum was designed by tech experts from Google and other top tech companies, Code.org curriculum lead, and many experienced Computer Science teachers.